Coffee or tea?
I have a little bit of a confession. In fact, this might just surprise you. I, Melissa Ramos from Sexy Food Therapy drinks coffee.
I know, many of you will scoff, tell Nutrition colleagues of mine or if you’re a patient of mine, you’ll simply point at me in horror like a deer in headlights. If you’re a tea drinker you might be confused how this could be possible and you just might have the eternal question:
What’s better, coffee or tea?
Allow me to give you the answer…
Now while I only drink about a cup a day (getting in touch with my Brazilian roots), I actually also LOVE tea. I do believe that coffee isn’t terrible, but rather it should be had in balance and avoided by certain people. So here’s the low down:
- According to US National Cancer Research, coffee could protect against colon cancer
- According to a Harvard study, coffee may lower depression
- A study from the American Association for Cancer Research says it may help to lower Basal Cell Carcinoma
- The Archives from Internal Medicine reviews that it may also help lower the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease says it may help to lower Parkinsons by 25%
- Too much of it can result in adrenal fatigue
- Should be avoided for those with inflammatory issues (joint/muscle pain, ovarian cysts, etc.)
- Adds heat into the body and not suited for those who tend to have loose bowel movements
- Too much of it could produce irritability or nervousness
- May cause an upset stomach
- May decrease bone density and iron levels in some
And there are plenty more on both ends of the spectrum. Remember that if you’re having coffee blended with cream and flavoured syrups you’re in a for an ass-growing adventure. So stick to the simple stuff and save your tooshie along with your wallet.
But then there’s tea and one of my FAVOURITE places to get tea is Steeped and Infused. There are a multitude of benefits and Jennifer Best, owner of Steeped and Infused can give you a run down:
- Strengthens your immune system and lowers rates of cancer
- Prevents tooth decay and fights bad breath so you can get up close and personal with your partner
- Builds stronger bones
- Protects your heart
And there are plenty more. So when I’m feeling a major dip in the latter part of the day, I’ll make myself one of Jennifer’s teas versus coffee. Why? Because I believe in balance folks – yin and yang all the way baby.
So here’s where I’m REALLY excited. Jennifer has offered to give away a Steep and Infused gift pack valued at $75. It includes her top sellers: Japanese Cherry, Holy Healer and Sweet Dreams. And best of all, even the biggest coffee drinker will love this. So, you want to balance out your daily java? Sign up to my newsletter, The Red Couch Confessions and enter to win.