The alarm goes off and we hit snooze ten times trying to catch a few extra z’s. We then jump out of bed with 15 minutes to get ready to race off to work. Our whole day has gone to pot because we are behind the eight ball all day. Fast forward…running down the street with your yoga mat tucked under your arm trying to get to the 6pm yoga class so you can relax. Here are some tips to help your stressed out life.
5 ways yoga will help you de-stress.
1. A feeling of ease. Shoulders, Neck, Hips and Lower backs oh my. Yoga releases stress in these major store houses by lengthening the muscles and creating gaps between joints and bones.
Pose: Forward Fold- Feet hip with apart, bend your knees to fold forward. Grab elbows, use a chair to rest on or grab big toes for more traction of your spine. Try it for 5 minutes, go slow as you roll back up.
2. Digest. It stimulates the Parasympathetic nervous system. You sympathetic nervous system is your flight and fight trigger. The Para lets you find some ease by lower blood pressure, helping with digestion and boosts your immune system.
Pose: Viparita Karani (legs up the wall)- Take your legs up the wall with your bum as close to the wall as you can. Your femur bones drop into their hip sockets and your nervous system slows down. Perfect for circulation, spider veins and tired feet or legs. Try it for 5 minutes and work up to 20 minutes. If your feet go numb come out. Not suggested if you have glaucoma.
3. Move it or lose it. A little hard sweaty work can get your body concentrating on something other than that phone call if you got that dream job. A good sweaty yoga session even distracts a broken heart.
Pose: Sun Salutations- Check You Tube for many videos to follow.
4. Focus and be in the moment. Yoga can help you get clear. When you are balancing on one foot you are real clear or you are going to topple over. Yoga teaches you the art of concentration. Stressed minds are usually scattered mind.
Pose: Tree pose- Standing on one foot with the other foot resting into the inner thigh or shin (just skip the knee). Hips are level and belly toned. Feel like you are putting on your tightest high school jeans, draw your two hip bones together and do up a small zipper, lift belly from pubic bone up. Raise arms over head and do both sides.
5. Meditate and get to know thy self. Stop and sit with what comes up instead of running away. Focus on learning to withstand, to stand tall in the face of stress. Be a warrior and kick stress in the asana.
Pose: Meditation- This is going to be the hardest thing you do, sit still. Sit with your legs crossed and your hips higher than your knees to get a natural scoop in your lower back or sit on a chair. Start with 5 minutes a day and focus on breath. Count your breaths and try to get to 10 without being distracted by thoughts. If you lose count start over.
Yoga is a practice, so practice. Go easy on yourself and keep coming back to your yoga mat and the results will be many. No one said it was going to be easy but having some tools in your tool belt to make this ride a bit smoother is a good thing.
Show me more: Uncategorized